SUPER EASY DOUGHNUTS (Recipe Below)
I promised to send someone the recipe for the doughnuts that I posted on Instagram, so I thought I would just put it here, with a little story:
Yay for doughnuts!
...We didn't eat them all!
(We took plates of them to the neighbours.)
Willem seems to have called dibs on the one Astra took! Poor guy- just learning to talk. We hadn't understood!
Don't worry, he bounced right back. Feelin' for this soon-to-be-middle child of mine!
And now for that recipe...
SUPER EASY DOUGHNUTS (AllRecipes.com)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3/8 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Stir the vinegar into the milk, and let stand for a few minutes until thick.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture alternating with the vinegar and milk. Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut into doughnuts using a donut cutter. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry doughnuts in the hot oil until golden, turning over once. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar while they are still warm, and serve immediately.